My top skincare essentials for travel

By Twenty Abroad - March 23, 2018


There have been more than once I found my skin in the worst condition after a trip. My skin was dehydrated and I got break out all over my face. Since then I have always followed a strict yet simple travel skincare routine to keep my skin look fresh and clean everywhere I go.

While travelling the last thing you may want to do is carrying a ton of skincare products, right? First, they're heavy. Second, your skin may not be able to bear with it. Sudden changes in temperature, environment, and diet can stress out your skin so it's important to let your skin rest and breath by putting just enough products on it. Remember, less is more.

So here is my list of top travel skincare essentials:

1. Face wipes


Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes
I cannot stress enough how much I love face wipes. Although I don't use it in my daily routine, I always have it with me on a trip. It simply makes your life while travelling a lot easier, trusts me. I mostly use Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes, and I like it a lot. It's soft, gentle, and remove my makeup effortlessly, except my waterproof mascara, which I don't wear most of the time while travelling anyway so it's not a big problem for me.

2. Cleanser


Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
I don't think I need to say a lot about this cleanser. It's mild, non-irritating, and leaves your skin clean and soft. Some said that this cleanser caused their skin break out, which hasn't happened to me. The only downside I can find about this is that it doesn't come with a travel-friendly size.

Cosrx Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser
This is another cleanser that I like. It doesn't give my skin a huge change or anything like that, but it's low pH, leaves my skin clean, doesn't make my skin break out or dehydrated. That's pretty much what I look for from a cleanser. And I know there are many people who are fans of it as well. You can buy this cleanser at Cosmetic Love. I always buy Korean cosmetics and skincare on this site because both the prices and shipping fee here are very affordable,

3. Muslin cloth

Life Basics Cotton Muslin Facial Cloths
It's not an actual skincare product but it's a must-have for me. When travelling I don't bother to bring a bottle of face scrub with me; it's so inconvenient. I use muslin cloth instead. Actually, ever since I started using it after cleansing step I don't find it's necessary to use face scrub products anymore. It gently exfoliates, improves circulation to my skin, and helps it absorb latter skincare products better. When travelling I always put it in a clean plastic bag to keep it hygienic.

The only organic muslin cloths brand I have used so far is Life Basics. I love its muslin cloths and it's not too expensive like other brands'  either. I might try another brand in the future, but right now I think I'll just stick with Life Basics.

4. Moisturiser

A year ago, I decided to start a minimalist skincare routine. I only do a double cleansing, use moisturiser, acne treatment products, and sunscreen. Since then, I have got a lot of compliments on my skin. Now my skin is appears a lot healthier and clearer. I also don't have acne as frequently as I did before.
Cetaphil Ultra Hydrating Lotion
I have used Cetaphil Ultra Hydrating Lotion as a moisturiser for one year, and I really like it. It works well on my skin wherever I am, in Denmark, Vietnam, or Australia. I use it for both summer and winter because it's very moisturising but doesn't make my skin look oily. However, I have to say that it's not enough for winter in Denmark. Actually, I have yet found any product that can keep my skin hydrated during the cold season in Denmark. The weather in Denmark is really harsh, the wind is insane, and even the water there can drier your skin. But for Australia and Vietnam, it's a perfect moisturiser.

5. Treatment

Rohto Melano CC Intensive Anti-Spot Essence
I loveee this Japanese essence. It makes most of my pimples disappear overnight and helps hyperpigmentation fade faster. Its citrus smell is also a huge plus for me. I apply it on my skin every night and have finished my second tube already. Am I going to repurchase it? YES. Definitely! 

You can buy it online at Amazon, or Alphabeauty. (I bought my first one at Alphabeauty, and the second one my friend bought for me in Japan)

6. Sunscreen

Derma E Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
I wrote a post about the importance of sunscreen before. You can find it here. It's the best anti-aging product you can find on the market, so don't forget to apply sunscreen when you go out. My favourite is Derma E Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30. Some people say that it's hard to apply and it balls up on their faces. I had that problem before as well, but after I learned to wait for the moisturiser fully adsorbed into my skin before putting the sunscreen on it doesn't happen anymore. What I love about this sunscreen is that it has a semi-matte finish. It doesn't make my skin oily even in summer like other mineral sunscreens do.


And that's the end of my list!

There is no 'one size fits all'. Although all products in my list are claimed non-irritating they might not work well on you skin like how they do on mine. But I hope you find this list helpful. In the end, I think the most important thing is to keep your travel skincare routine as simple as possible.


So what is your favourite travel skincare product? 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments